Tuesday, March 12, 2013

BEEP-BEEP...



The move is finally behind me. I'll talk more about that in another post. I'm sore, feel pain, exhaustion, but for the most part, good! Today, I went to Costco to stock up on everything. For breakfast I had 2 toasted hamburger buns with cream cheese spread across them with my index finger. I'll find the silverware another time........ maybe. On my way out to the car, I happened to look to my right and there was a baggy full of plastic eating utensils, right before my very eyes. The same ones that my first wife purchased and packed away about 33 years ago. She said we'd need them one day and she was right. 

I had just finished with James, my cable installer, who supplied me with Internet and 30 commercial filled stations for a mere $65 a month. I already had all the things that I needed for installation. my router and modem all packed away in a large baggy. He asked me where the wire is that goes between the 2 and I had no idea. Because of that, Cocks Communications will charge me $6.50 a month for the rest of my life to rent theirs, or I could have bought one with the wire for $130. I shook my head and said, just do it! Two hours later, after 2 cable boxes (one wouldn't work) James shook my hand and asked me to give him a 9 or 10 on the survey that is soon coming. I agreed to, because after all, James was 6' 9" tall! I headed out to Costco.

Did you ever stop and count the number of soaps that appear in your everyday life? Me neither, but I needed them all. Laundry soap, kitchen dish soap, dish washing machine soap, hand soap, and shampoo. Can I count toothpaste (teeth soap)? I spent almost $400 and all I've got to eat is Oreo cookies, ice cream and hamburger meat. My cart was full slam up and Costco carts are huge. I could hardly push the mother. I also had one of their cases of water on board, in addition to all of those damned soaps. No telling how much my cart weighed but to add insult to injury, it kept pulled hard to the left. (I've got to take that thing in and get it aligned). I was at the farthest corner of the huge warehouse store and was moving along at a pretty good clip, when I looked ahead and there was a woman and her 2 daughters walking 3 abreast covering the entire isle. I knew I could stop, but didn't want to. I pictured myself in court explaining to the judge, just how the accident happened and that they were run over by a madman pushing an overweight shopping cart that was pulling hard to the left! Instead, I yelled out, BEEP-BEEP and all three of them looked back to see who was beeping them. I'm guessing at their ages to be Mom about 45 and overweight, daughter one was about 15 and there was a 20 year old there too. 

As I passed them on the left, fighting hard to keep it on the road, my mind went wheeling back to an easier time in my life when I was 6 years old and I had just learned to ride my 2 wheeler and the only way a kid was to get any respect at all on the streets of Chicago when he is 6, is to yell BEEP-BEEP, when passing another kid on a bike. It was 1952 and I don't think they had invented bicycle horns yet! The woman whispered something to her 2 offspring and I'm pretty sure it wasn't nice...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.