Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Sunday Ride...

Our weekend didn't turn out anything like we expected this week. The factory that Julie works for laid a sudden surprise on her on Friday. They needed 200 power supplies for a Monday delivery, as well as some 50 plastics and she couldn't find anyone to work. So, our Saturday at the zoo was cancelled and I was actually asked to help. Guess what? I liked it! It was line work and boring if I was to do it everyday, but I got to use power tools and do mundane work while we talked about a plethora of things. Everything from politics to sex to Big Brother to sex and so forth. Did I mention sex? The day went by quickly and although we didn't finish, we did knock a big chunk out of it by night time.

Bogie isn't doing so hot today. He was sick all night and I spent the majority of the morning cleaning up after him. I got up in the middle of the night, to find Bogie laying alone in the family room, somewhere he NEVER is at night. For ten plus years he's always slept where I sleep, I knew something was amiss. Around noon, I took the little convertible over to Julie's to help her finish up, but she said, "Screw it" and threw in the towel and decided she's worked enough. She threw on her Arnold Swartzenager sun glasses and hopped into the passenger's side and immediately started complaining about her ass getting burned.

We headed towards Wickenburg, a town about 45 miles from me, but quite a bit closer to Julie. Julie grabbed my arm repeatedly screaming I was too close to the car in front of me. I'd just look at her. The Lovely Jules is the worst passenger you could possibly find with her constant back seat driving. Today I figured out that I've been driving for a very long time and knew not to drive into the car in front of me. They taught me this right off. I guess Julie thought I was on my Maiden Voyage, It wasn't..

Here's another trick that the Lovely Jules has. She waits until we are going about 70 MPH with the top down and speaks out the passenger's window. When I ask her to repeat what she had said, she moves her fingers as if I'm deaf and indicating sign language. How endearing?

We arrived in Wickenburg and if you don't slow down, you'll miss it. Once you get there, you'll see the McDonald's and if you're still going 40 MPH, it's over! We were now on our way to Kingman which is just outside of Vegas. I suggested we turn around, Julie actually took her hands off of her eyes and asked where we were. We turned around and found a quaint Western Restaurant owned by Europeans, possibly the French. The food was good and priced fairly, neither of us were able to finish.

It seemed like I was driving all day and we headed back to town, stopping at a Chevrolet dealer that is an old friend of mine. I guess we missed him by 30 minutes, he had gone home.

On what could have been a pleasant ride home, Jules showed me one of her old highway tricks. We were travelling behind a large 18 wheeler, a tractor trailer, if you will? I know that tractor/trailers always brake before curves, to avoid jack-knifing. I doesn't mean they're going to stop. So here we are driving along behind this truck and we are a good 15 car lengths behind it. A curve in the road is approaching and the trucker turns on the brakes, just to slow down his trailer, so it doesn't try to pass him. Each and every time he would do this, Julie would squeeze my leg, as hard as she could and scream! Evidently, she didn't trust my sense of sight, she insisted on incorporating my other 2 senses, hearing and feel! For the rest of the ride home, I suggested she just cover her eyes, she did. She also shared with me that her ex husband pulled over more than once and ordered her out of the car... Today's events reminded me of the time I decided to go "off road" and Julie jumped out of my moving car. She takes this stuff seriously!

When we got back to Julie's, I was anxious to get home and see how Bogie was doing. I was pretty parched and asked to come in for a quick cold drink of water. I went into the house and my second home dog, Pawpaw was happy to see us. I sat down drinking my water and when I was between drinks, I put it down on the couch next to me. Then I kind of forgot about it and it spilled onto me and the sofa. My pants, underwear and shirt were literally soaked, as the Lovely Jules laughed on. She agreed to put them into the dryer for a brief drying of my briefs. So, as I stood there wearing nothing but a towel, I asked what I'm supposed to do while we were waiting, Julie screamed the reply, PLASTICS! So, I sat there doing plastics, wearing just a towel and only flashed her twice. The first time was my idea, the second time was hers!!! That crazy lady!

Mel
4/14/08

No comments: