Friday, February 20, 2009

Just Brooklyn Rude...

Zoie and I just left the park, but not because we wanted to. We were asked to leave. It's a beautiful day here in sunny Arizona with the noon temperature somewhere in the low 70's and a clear picturesque sky. Zoie and I were enjoying a few stolen minutes sucking up the rays, after the nice folks with a Standard Poodle left. The big old Poodle chased his Frisbee and Zoie loved chasing the Poodle, although she still hasn't figured out why he chases Frisbees. It was a gorgeous day. As we were just drifting across the open space, a Ford Contour pulled up and frankly I was hoping she would stop and get out and exercise her dog or dogs. We wandered. After about 3 or 4 minutes, this extremely heavyset woman gets out and with the most pronounced Brooklyn accent screams across the park, "Are you leaving"? I walked closer, within yelling range, and replied, "I don't know, why"? Because she wanted to let her dogs out and one of her dogs is iffy, when it comes to other dogs and that she just left a park where there were 6 dogs and her dog got into all kinds of trouble, attacking the others". Overwhelmed, I just answered that we could leave... We'd been there about 20 minutes and was thinking of leaving anyway, but it did occur to me that this is an attitude that just shouldn't have accommodated. Can you imagine asking someone to leave the park so her aggressive dog can play, without her worrying about a lawsuit? Bogie, my best friend in the world, couldn't be counted on to play nicely with other dogs, so I kept him sequestered his entire life, because that was the right thing to do. As I write this, I can still hear her Brooklyn accent yelling after me, "Thanks for leaving"!

No comments: