Monday, February 23, 2009

Riding the Tracks...




After ironing a few things out in addition to our clothes, the Lovely Jules came to pick me up to ride recently activated Phoenix Light Rail. We had spoken of riding the giant railroad approach to inner city transportation and were both looking forward to it. First we checked to see where we could started our excursion and found that 19th Ave and Bethany Home Road was the starting point. We drove to the Park and Ride lot and parked our car. Walking towards the giant train station was an experience in and of itself, with very few instructions. We found a machine that issued passes for our ride and LJ decided that an all day pass would best serve our need, although it's strictly on an honor basis. We didn't HAVE to buy the passes, but didn't want to do anything illegal, so we did. I could see where if you just rode the train for free, it would be quite easy. ALL ABOARD!!!

We took off on schedule, although I didn't know what the schedule was. The first thing I noticed that I was impressed with, was the ability to take your bicycle on board and they offered bike racks, that doubled as seats. The spot immediately across from us was occupied by a mother and her 2 sons, about 12 and 14. The 12 year old wore a bandanna around his head and of course I acted as if it were a bandage and asked how he hurt his head. After Julie poked me in the side pretty hard, I was forced to sit back and watch the 14 year old do pull ups on the bar above our heads, designed for holding on to. That triggered memories in my own youth and how it felt to have all of that energy in your body just trying to be used.

That family exited and a new group got on. This time it was a teenage girl that mostly interested in text messaging her friends. She also brought on Chicken McNuggets that she was eating from her bag and had obviously just visited the Golden Arches. Suddenly her phone rang and I blurted out, "Is that a personal call" generating yet another poke in the side from the Lovely Jules. I decided to quiet down or suffer a broken rib. All the while LJ was whining about being hungry and threatening to get off the train to eat. I comforted her with a red and white candy that seemed to do the trick, as she quieted down nicely.

It was interesting because with each stop we exchanged riding audiences and as we passed downtown, we got the Phoenix Suns enthusiasts and quickly learned of their defeat to the Celtics. By the time we got to Tempe, we were pretty much through with the jerking ride and the multiple stops for both stations and red lights. This means of transportation takes forever and also upsets your stomach, not to mention some of the less than savory co-passengers. At one point 3 little girls were sitting next to me, farting and giggling. I was pretty pleased when they reached their stop!

We exited at Tempe, near Mill Avenue and ASU and who do you suppose we run into? Brad Klein, my former office next-door-neighbor and friend. I hadn't seen him in years. He was entertaining his 4 year old daughter for the day, as he took her for a ride on the Light Rail. It turned out that we were in front of Monti's Steak House and dipped inside for a quick appetiser and a beer, after saying goodbye to Brad. Above is a picture, compliments of our waitress who told us to kiss when she snapped the picture. Proving we are still on the same page, as Julie yelled "He's my father, I yelled we're brother and sister" while the young waitress threw up a little in her mouth. In the picture, Julie is NOT stoned, according to popular belief, but just enjoying a quick blink.

The highlight of our day was unequivocally the "Can't Stop Talking Guy" who we met at the Tempe Station, where he smiled and said, I'm from Albuquerque and never stopped until he was getting off the train at his stop in Phoenix, where he offered, "I like Phoenix better than Tempe, don't you?" WHEW!!!

All in all it was a great day, but neither of us feel compelled to ride that train again for a long time and I certainly missed the CHOO-CHOOO....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I' ve seen pictures of LJ and she's truly Lovely....so my question is: Have you resorted to drugging women to get them to go out with you?!! MJ

Things I Left Behind said...

This was my first attempt at using the famous date-rape drug. I'm pleased to report it worked! She tried to rape me....

Dutch