Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Sell-a-thon...

I'm not sure if the stars were aligned just right or if someone thought it was my birthday, or if it was just my turn for some good fortune, but this past weekend I sold 3 cars. I sold both of my Kia vans and the Volvo that almost put me in the poor house several months ago, when I first started putting the new engine in it.

The sell-a-thon started on Thursday night when Ramon woke me with his phone call inquiring about my Volvo for sale. I was surprised to say the least, as it wasn't even advertised. He told me he found the ad in Vehix, a new online advertising website and it's FREE! He said he was at work, but wanted to come right over and view the Volvo. I splashed some water on my face and went out to the garage to see if it would start. It had been just parked there for months and I was extremely please to see that it fired right up. I let it run for awhile, to insure a quick start when Ramon got here. About an hour later Ramon pulled up in his rental car, as he had just bought a Volvo on the previous Friday, but totalled it on Monday. Bad for Ramon, but GOOD for me! After going through the ritual of talking and listening and a long test drive, Ramon told me he had $4500 from the insurance company and offered it to me. The only problem was, I was asking $7500 and actually had $7000 invested in the car. I think even a disinterested reader would agree that $4500 is a pretty weak offer. I didn't laugh at him, as I really kind of took a liking to Ramon. He was a 40 year old single father, raising his 2 teenage daughters, 16 and 19. Slowly, Ramon raised his offer to $5000, but really didn't know where he was going to find the extra $500. He left defeated and I didn't sell the car, but couldn't really entertain that kind of a loss, just yet. About 20 minutes later, my cell phone rang out and it was Ramon calling to give me the good news. He spoke with his brother and he's willing to lend him $1000, raising his offer to $5500. I explained he was headed in the right direction, but if he could raise another $500, I'd sell it to him. He hung up sounding deflated.

Friday morning, while still sipping coffee, a gentleman named Michael called and came over to see one of my Kia vans and promptly bought it for full price. With cash in hand, he drove off and I thought, with the profit on the Kia, I could almost afford to lose the money on my Volvo with Ramon. Friday night, rather late, I got an email from a man named Rafael interested in my Kia Van. Remember, I had 2 of them. I simply wrote him back that I still have it and to call me tomorrow. The following morning there was a phone message that Rafael was coming in my direction and would be at my house around 11:30. At 12:30, he still hadn't shown up and there were probably a lot of Kia vans between my house and his, after all, he was coming from Chandler, AZ. almost an hour away. About 1 PM, Zoie lurched into action to answer the front door, it was Raphael and his mother. Raphael was a 37 year old man that was the same size as my doorway, but moved back pretty fast when Zoie greeted him. I met him outside and he promptly bought the second Kia van for full price and turned out to be a true gentleman. He has spent his life caring for his elderly mother and they need a new van to drive 60 miles to church, 3 times a week. When they came to pick up the van Tuesday morning, Raphael brought his younger brother that made Raphael look like a midget, yikes!

Saturday afternoon, right after Raphael left, my phone rang again and it was my old buddy Ramon. Without me saying a word, he told me the insurance company gave him an extra $500 on his check and if I'd take a post dated check for $1000, he'd buy my Volvo for the $6000. I cheerfully agreed to everything and actually drove to Southwest Phoenix to pick him up. As I was walking out the door, my cell phone rang again and it was a gentleman calling about my Buick for sale. All I did was look up towards the sky where "you know who" lives and winked. Thank you!

No comments: