Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Credit Card Fraud...

While driving home from my appointment, I received a call from an 800 number, so I hit ignore and continued driving. I heard the familiar sound of a voice mail notice, which is strange when solicitors call. I listened to the message and it was from Chase Bank's Fraud Department and they said it was urgent that I call them as soon as possible. So still driving, I hit the necessary keys and was asked to supply the last 4 numbers of my credit card. Sine they had just supplied them to me, I remembered them and did what I was asked, keeping in mind this is very dangerous when driving. Ten seconds and an involuntary lane change later, a Dude answered the phone and asked if I had made a purchase of electronics yesterday in Houston? Although I'd taken Ambien, even with the drugs, Houston was a bit far not to remember. I replied, no it wasn't me! Well, someone did use it and it seemed out of character for my credit profile, so they were verifying. They also told me that they denied the purchase, since I had just paid my AT&T bill the same day from Glendale, AZ.


Now is it just me or does everyone have this problem? This is the second time in 2 years someone has stolen my credit card number and frankly, it's never left my sight. Two years ago, it was used to pay off someones power bill in Michigan, another obvious fraud. They said they were going to overnight me a new credit card and hung up. I don't think 10 minutes went by when I realized, how do I know it was Chase that I supplied my pertinent information to and not some con artist? I worried all the way to Fry's where I was picking up my prescription and was truly relieved when the machine declined my credit card. Today, Tuesday, about 22 hours later there was a fresh credit card at my door and of course it required activation. When I called, I had to jump though some credit card hoops, once again giving them my mother's maiden name and I was asked if I wanted to hear some new and wonderful things Chase was doing. I politely explained that this is a new credit card, but I've been a member since 1983 and I'm pretty familiar with Chases features. She then said, did you know that you have $367 in Chase cash back credit, do I want to let it ride or should they send a check? I think I was fully stuttering when I meekly asked, "Can I get a check"? She said, sure and agreed to send it to me. Now let me get this straight, a credit card company is sending money to ME! I may actually be a little more accommodating the next time they want to tell me about their programs...

No comments: