Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Good Karma...

1993 Buick Le Sabre (sold)

Just in case anyone has been following my plight, I've been trying to sell my 93 Buick, Le Sabre. Although it's a 15 year old car, it looks and runs good and has only 89,000 miles on it and would make someone a pretty good transportation car. I was asking $2995 and getting offers of $2000 and $2200 and although that seems like a fair price for an average car, this one commands a little more respect. After 3 weeks, my ad with the Auto Trader ran out, so I called and renewed it and because they didn't get back to me in a timely way (according to them), they offered to renew my ad for 4 weeks for free. I accepted that price as fair and prudent.

The first call I received was from a girl that needed a car and her father was going to buy it for her. She argued about everything imaginable and finally I told her I couldn't sell the car to her, because life was just too short and hung up. The following day her father called and made an appointment to see the car and tried to trick me into thinking he was someone else, but accidentally divulged it was for his impatient daughter. A ha, busted! Although he was nice enough and apologized for his daughter's rude behavior, he still didn't buy my Buick Le Sabre.

About 2 hours later on Saturday, I received a call from the 870 area code. It was an older gentleman inquiring about my Buick. I asked if he were calling from out of state and he replied yes, but his wife lives in Scottsdale and her car was stolen. I didn't feel I was entitled to any more information than that, although I did have questions. He told me his wife's name was Nelwyn and she'd be calling me soon. About 15 minutes into my nap, my cell phone went off again. It was an elderly woman about my age, telling me that she spoke with her husband and wanted to see my car. She didn't have transportation, so she would be taking the bus to a mutually agreed location to meet me. Thinking of myself as a gentleman, and since I was going to be driving anyway, I offered to come to where she was and show her the car. It really wasn't that much farther. I sensed her apprehension and agreed to whatever was most convenient for her. Then she said, as long as she's taking the bus anyway, she'll take it to as close to my house as possible. I told her that I'd be as accommodating as possible and follow her wishes. That was at 3:15 PM. At 5 PM, I was thinking of calling her cell phone to see if she were really coming, but before I could dial her number, my phone rang and it was Nelwyn calling from my corner. Wow, she got pretty close! I said I'd be there in a minute to pick her up and headed out.

When I arrived at the Circle K, Nelwyn waved to me and I waved back. She hopped in and said it was beautiful and just like she had hoped. She was legitimately thrilled. We drove to my house where Nelwyn switched places with me and drove it for about a mile and said she's like to buy it, but only has $300 today and will be getting the balance wired from her husband in Arkansas.

Here is Nel's story. Her husband is blind and they have been married for 28 years. They have adopted 5 handicapped children and she is in Phoenix, hopefully saving the life of her 22 year old daughter that is at Barrows Institute and has been for 5 years. The daughter is Epileptic and has multiple seizures everyday and has had several brain surgeries. At this point they are just trying to keep her alive. Nel and I went to the ATM and she gave me $300 and mentioned that this is probably the easiest sale I've ever made. We both laughed. Then I told her that I would replace the cracked windshield for her and take it to my mechanic and have him check it out thoroughly. She thanked me and I drove her home. Yesterday I spent the day doing just what I said I would and the bill came to much more than she gave me for a deposit, but I feel good about her taking the car, even as far as Arkansas. Good things happen to good people...


No comments: