Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Smell a RAT!!!


"I smell a rat" is an old expression used to indicate something is wrong with a transaction. Later it was referred to as a "scam". Well remember the sweet little old lady from my last post? The one that I was doing all of the mechanical work for to make sure the old Buick is safe and solid for her? Things are starting to fall apart, to a degree. In a perfect scenario, the out of state husband would wire money to his wife, or she would be privy to his assets and just draw the money from their joint account, like in real life. Our maiden is a bit eccentric though and is on ACCESS, state funding, welfare, if you will and will not accept a large amount of money to go into her meager account, thus creating questions for ACCESS. She has arranged for her poor blind husband that is allegedly in Arkansas to wire the funds directly to my account here in AZ, plus a little extra for me to give to his wife for spending money. I asked Nelwyn how much she was talking about and she said about a hundred dollars. I relaxed. She also is wanting a receipt for a lesser amount of money so she won't have to pay taxes in Arkansas when she arrives there with the Buick.

The first thing I did this morning, after pouring my first cup of coffee, was to check my bank balance online to see if the wire had arrived yet. There were 2 direct deposits made to my account from Bank of America, one for 45 cents and the second for 35 cents, leaving me a tad confused. I called Tony, the gentlemen in Arkansas and he returned my call with me being the third party on that call, as I heard Nelwyn's voice as I picked up the phone, but they didn't acknowledge her being on the line. For all I know, they're both here in AZ with Tony using an out of state number on his cell phone. He told me to ignore those deposits, it's B of A's way of checking my account for legitimacy. Huh??? Frankly, that's the same thing my bank told me when I called to inquire. He then told me that B of A is giving him a hard time about the money transfer, saying it would take a full 2 weeks. That tells me his funds are uncollected at their end. He tells me to watch for the money to show up from yet another back in Arkansas. He also told me that he's sending some extra money for me to give to Nelwyn, about $500. Hmm....... It seems the plot is thickening. If this deal flies, it's going to be a frickin' miracle. If any of my 3 readers have any suggestions on how to approach this, it would be appreciated. One thing I know for sure, she's not getting the car until the money is in hand. Sweet old lady or not!

No comments: