Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thinning the Inventory at Mel's Home Warehouse

I tried to sell my dining table and 6 chairs on Craig's list. I took pictures, posted them on the world famous free website, Craig's List and waited. The first day nothing. Then on the second day the ad ran, I got a mid-afternoon text from a lady named Maritza, that said to call her when I received her text. I did. She was a Hispanic lady and was so excited about getting to talk to me that I was beginning to think I was a celebrity. But when I looked in the mirror, it was just me, Mel Fisher car salesman (retired). She asked me if I'd hold it for her until Saturday at 5:30, when she was off work and could come and give me my money. I laughingly told her I'd been holding it for 17 years, I don't see why I can't hold it for another 2 days.. (Fully not knowing about Jeanette) Jeanette called Thursday afternoon and was extremely excited about my dining set. I haven't seen people this excited about my dining room set since the salesman sold it to me many years ago and then it was only him! Again Jeanette told me she worked for a doctor's office and I was tempted to ask which one, as he's probably chopped a body part or two of mine. I restrained myself. Jeanette used her 3 kids screaming in the background to make me realize she was more than serious. I was asking $250 and she asked me if I'd take $200 and would I deliver it? Maritza was sounding better all the time and I told her precisely that. She backed down and agreed to the price and to allow me to bring it to her after she inspects it at my lovely suburban home (That I no longer reside at)..

Jeanette started calling at 8 AM and I didn't crawl out of bed until 9. I answered my cell as soon as I turned it on and it was Jeanette "hot to trot" for that table and 6 chairs. She wanted to meet me at 10, but I'd just gotten up, so I stalled her until 11AM.

At exactly 11 AM my phone rang and it was Jeanette telling me she was running 10 minutes late and not to leave. I told her I'd see her soon and hung up. Right at 11:10 someone knocked on the front door and it was the lovely Jeanette, all 5 feet of her. She was full of piss and vinegar and ran around my former home and said things like "this is the largest house I've ever seen, you must be rich"! She should only know.... In tow, Jeanette had brought the father of her 3 babies and the 3 little munchkins, ages 9, 7, and 2. Her children were literally beautiful. Jeanette was an African American girl about 27 and she was probably 1/2 Asian, as well and Daddy was a fair skinned young fellow that I took a liking to. She and the kids moved here from Cleveland, Ohio for a better life and Daddy just followed. They gave me my money and I helped them to deliver it to their home in old Scottsdale, not far from Linda's house. In fact I almost stopped by. I stopped and texted Maritza and told her the dining set was sold. She texted me back, asking me what I was talking about, and that I probably had the wrong person.

As I drove home, I felt productive for the first time in a long time. I liked the feeling. I think I paid about $1000 for that dining set and I sold it for $250, hmm.... If I could figure out how to do that on a regular basis, could I make up the loss with volume???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.