Friday, March 11, 2011

The Car that Wouldn't Go Away, Went Away!

I broke down last night and placed my Buick on Craig's List. I'd heard from one of my friends that it's working great to sell older cars, plus it's free. After shelling over about $100 for an ad on AutoTrader, I certainly felt the price was right.

About an hour later, I got a call from a gentleman that claimed he had a 2 year old baby and needed a safe car. I suggested a Volvo, not a supercharged Buick. He seemed to be about 20 years old, claimed he lived near me and wanted to come over at 8AM to view the car. I laughed and told him, "Absolutely not"! I don't get up until after 9 these days and I'm certainly not interrupting my sleep for the "car that wouldn't go away".

In spite of praying to the best of my ability, sleep would not come. I did the tossing and turning routine until 3 AM, then took a pill. Still nothing that resembled sleep. Many strange thoughts and then one of my legs tried to learn a new dance, but no sleep for me. I kept thinking I have to be up no later than 9 to be ready for my customer. I saw 5 AM, then it was 8 and I laid in bed until 8:30, then ran for the shower. By 9 AM, I was showered, shaved and dressed, with a wave in my doo. I poured my first cup of coffee and started making ready for my client. I cleaned the windows on the old Buick, then sprayed about a quart of Fabreeze into the guts of the great beast. It looked and smelled good. So did I! Ten o'clock came and went and nothing. I got stood up! Neither the Buick or I were going to the dance..................until Judith came along!

Judith from Prescott was down here looking for a car for herself with her 40 year old daughter and 103 year old mother. What a trio! The phone rang about 12:30, as I sat there dejected. She asked all the questions that a REAL buyers asks. Most importantly, she asked if there were a bank close by to get the title notarized? She also said she would be a few minutes longer, as she needed to go to the bank and get ca$h! Yippeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cash!

The three generations rang the bell at about 1:30 and I greeted them graciously. Hell, knowing she brought cash, I would have had the event catered! They were as sweet as could be, we got Grandma a seat in front of the TV while daughter and Mom drove about 3 minutes and returned saying, "We'll take it"! No haggling or sniveling or weaseling or chiseling or (I know you're waiting for me to say it) Jewing me down! Just, I'll take it. I never heard 3 sweeter words in my life.

The youngest of the trio handed me some pretty fresh hundred dollar bills and I politely counted all 43 of them to make sure they didn't give me too much. (Yeah right). I helped Grandma off the couch and spotted that Grandma spotted, but didn't say anything. I'd say all together, it took them about 10 minutes to get situated and drive away before I could scream YEA!!!! At the top of my lung!

No comments: