Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Love Shopping....

After a manic rendezvous at Costco, we ran around like chickens sans their heads trying to do Saturday shopping at such a place. The highlight of the afternoon was when we happened across an overweight man that had cleared out a place on a shelf to plunk down his tired ass and was obviously just taking a well deserved break from shopping. With his shopping list still in his hand as we passed, I whispered to him to try sitting on the 40 LB dry dog food bags, they're much more comfortable. He smiled and thanked me, as we strolled past. After Julie found the perfect t-shirt and assorted cleaning supplies and secured the 5 LB container of potato salad that I couldn't find a few days earlier, we were good to go. We split up a few items that we bought collectively and said our goodbye in the parking lot, how romantic. One of the items that Julie bought was 1 LB of giant shrimp that was to appear a little later in our dinner. I love when Julie cooks shrimp,as she doesn't really care for them and I get to eat them all and take home the balance!

As I said, we went our separate ways and I met her later at her house to the aroma of garlic and a plethora of goodies. After dinner was the big surprise. In the Lovely Jules' living room lives a sofa that was created shortly after the beginning of time and as luck would have it, it has a hide-a-bed in it. Anyone who's ever owned such a monster knows that the mattress is not suitable for human use. It is good for guests that are not wanted to stay too long, such as mother-in-laws and out of town drop-in friends. One night in the belly of a hide-a-bed you don't ever walk the same. That's not to say that the hide-a-bed is not just perfect for a 106 LB, 15 year old mutt that hasn't left it's sink-hole for 3 days. Pawpaw is that mutt. He spends every waking hour on that bed now and only leaves the comfort of it's welcome foam rubber mattress for personal reasons. He goes outside, which used to be his retreat, but now reappears at the door begging to get back in within seconds.

The wonderful hide-a-bed is smack dab in front of the little TV that Julie has in her living room and we decided to watch last night's offering while relaxing on the bed, but Pawpaw had different ideas. He plops himself right in the middle, between us in his sink hole and snores away the night like a freight train coming through a tunnel. It's good that we're dog lovers, huh? I think it was right at 10 PM that I looked over and there slept the Lovely Jules, hugging her faithful companion, Pawpaw. I took my leave...

The phone rang at 8 AM after a sleep-interrupted night and it was the ever-energetic Jules, raring to go shopping again. She decided that shopping was not only necessary, but good exercise, as well. After a quick shower, Julie was pulling up in my driveway.

We hopped into the car and our first stop was the cell phone store. Julie assures me that most modern cell phones don't have hand cranks anymore and I should get something more modern. I explained that I only use it for phone calls. I don't take pictures with it or access the Internet, it's all I need. Alltel was closed, whew! Next stop, Mervyns. Well, Mervyn must have had a late night too because it was empty and boring. I bought a pair of Levis and a pair of sun glasses for Julie. Her old ones made her look like a bug. We were hungry by now and I talked her into gong to Chile's, which she hates. She and Chili's has finally convinced me never to go there again, particularly on a weekend. If you were a young mother with children the age to cry or throw things or otherwise ruin a normal person's meal, you were at Chile's today. When we got there, it was kind of pleasant at about 12 noon. It was as though someone opened a flood gate and the children converged on us. They sat 4 young women with one child behind us and the noise was deafening, literally. One of the young idiots kept clucking non-stop like a chicken, until I finally asked the waitress if it would be okay if we moved. We carried our food to a less encompassed area and seated ourselves. I never knew Chile's had a "chicken clucking" section until today. My chicken sandwich was burnt to a crisp and our waitress was young and gone. I never really saw her again to say anything. So, I ate the parts that were edible and asked for the check. Julie ate 2 bites and said hers was rather poorly done too.

Back to the excitement of shopping!!! This time it was "off to Target". We both needed t-shirts for around the house and I wanted pajamas. I've never been a pajamas kind of guy, but lately it's been awfully cold here in AZ and I know, you don't want to hear about it, right? Julie bought me the t-shirts and pajamas. I LOVE being a kept man! That concluded, we were looking a for a new food store called Whole Foods and found it. It was quite different, kind of like a Trader Joe's, but bigger. Julie was thrilled with things she found there, none of which I'd ever heard of. We ran into Lao, the owner of Tutti Santi's and said hello to him and his family.

Although it was pretty early, it was still a beautiful day here in the Valley of the Sun, so I decided to wash our vehicles while Julie pulled some weeds that made their way into the world after all of the rain that we've had. I really like our relationship. I do things for her and she understands and just jumps in there and does things for me. Kind of nice that way................ for single people!

Mel
2/17/08

1 comment:

C.A. said...

Oh how I'd love to have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods less than 100 miles away in St. Louis. Your posts are a strong convincing voice making me wonder what the hell I'm doing living in Illinois. Jules pulled weeds...Good God. We won't see a weed around here for MONTHS!

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend, my friend!

:)