Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Miracle on 62nd Drive...

After a day of meandering around town, I ran a few errands and wound up at my car lot. It looked like an abandoned wrecking yard. I decided to check to make sure all of the cars that I just recently bought batteries for all started, but was sadly disappointed. Only one car of the bunch actually went ahead and started. Even the brand new 07 Chevy pick-up that I have, had a dead battery and as usual, Paul told me that the 2 junk cars that were on my side of the property line would have been gone, if I'd have showed up a little later.

It appears that he sold 3 cars for $1000 and the buyers weren't satisfied with the deal and wanted to back out. How do you buy 3 cars that run for $1000 and complain about anything?Typically, all of the jump starting devices were dead too and the one car that remained, blocked getting to 2 of my dead vehicles with a running car or jumper cables. As usual, I left frustrated and headed home, but remembered to stop at the pool store first, for the parts that I needed for my pool cleaner. Sans a hundred bucks or so, I headed home with new parts and instructions on how to remove the old parts along with some $4 lube.

When I arrived home the weather was gorgeous and I decided to shampoo the convertible's carpeting, rendering it flat perfect. Seldom do I get the privilege of owning such a nice car, even for a little while. Recalling that the pool cleaner hasn't worked in weeks, I decided to tackle that job next. The owner of the pool store and I don't know his name, we shall call him Alex. Alex told me to use a giant channel-lock to unscrew the old fitting and lube the new one real well and just screw it onto the threads that I will then see. The part that need to be replaced is the fitting that screws into the pool wall and leads to the hose of the pool cleaner. Simple, huh? I asked if the old one would have been glued in? No Alex retorted, why would they glue it in, it has threads! So, I tried to unscrew the fitting and nothing. That thing was really on there. I tried a little harder really torquing my channel-lock and I heard a familiar sound. It was the sound of the old fitting disintegrating from have it's soul ripped out by an invading channel-lock. Now, I have nothing left to unscrew and the new hose fitting has nothing to screw onto. What in the world will I tell Alex? I seldom am able to fix anything, I don't even know why I try.

Last week, I was at the home of the "Lovely Jules" and she mentioned that her garbage disposal wasn't working again. This is the second time since I've known her. The first time, I wisely blew off the repair as it was late in the evening and too late to start removing a garbage disposal. She asked he son-in-law Nathan to repair it and he did. I heard about how unhandy I was for about 3 or 4 months since then. When the rebellious disposal quit working again, it was high noon and no excuse in sight. Without Jules seeing, I closed my praying eye for just one moment, long enough to ask God for some help in the new repair. As usual, he came through for me. I shoved a long handled screw driver into the pits of the monster and broke loose something and looked over to Julie and said the infamous, "try it now"! With an ever-so-tiny thunder from the sky, the garbage disposal revved its motor and I was more shocked than Julie! Man, that guy works in mysterious ways!
Happy Valentine's Day...
Mel
2/13/08

No comments: