Sunday, September 7, 2008

My First Day at Undercurrents...

The Lovely Jules is the proud owner of a small manufacturing company that is named above. She runs most of it herself, along with her daughter, but on occasion has the necessity of outside help. Because the volume of work is often uncertain, it's hard to maintain reliable and steady help. She relys upon high school students, college students and unemployed older people in her neighborhood. Because of circumstances beyond her control, she found herself in a quandary and needing untrained help. I took a quick look into the mirror and determined that I certainly was qualified. Untrained, that's me! I offered my help for about the 27th time and to my surprise, this time she accepted it. I finally found me a damned job!

I arrived at the job site around 11 AM and got a warm, "What are you doing here" from Jules? I reminded her of our conversation of 1 hour earlier and she said to shut up and get to work, that this will give her the opportunity to have a shower. With little else said, I settled in to converse with Jason, who I wanted to call Justin. Jason is a 17 year old high school boy that is built similarly to the the high school quarterback. About 6' 2" and lean, with a boyish face and drives a Ford pick up. Jason lives 4 doors down but likes to drive to work. He started our connection with, "Are you retired"? I told him I didn't know. That shut him up for awhile. I found Jason to be a nice, friendly, helpful, good natured, annoying young man, that voiced anything and everything that came to his mind.

Jules finally came out of the shower and resumed her role as employer and evil woman. I was tossed from low ranking job to lower ranking job, as I did each one poorly and inefficiently. I had made my fortune with my mouth and this job required routine, mundane work and I found my mouth was getting me into trouble. I was getting rejections from my aging, untrained body too. At one point I had to stop, as my fingers cramped and wouldn't move for me. I waited patiently for the cramps to go away to resume.

I worked until about 3 PM and left to go feed my dogs. To my surprise, I was invited back for tomorrows work. I think that Jules had learned to truly appreciate my efforts since I'm working for free right now. That makes me a real value!

Mel
9/7/08

3 comments:

Jules said...

you're fired

Jules said...

BTW is Martha OK? She hasen't read my blog today. I'm a bit worried.

C.A. said...

That woman is a slave driver. I'd turn her in to the Labor Board if I were you!