Sunday, September 7, 2008

Saturday Night...


After what might have been the most boring day on record, I finally got cleaned up around 5 PM. There I was showered and shaved and wearing fresh clothes. I even changed the oil in my hair. No one called and no one wrote all day. It was just one of those lazy 110 degree days that steals the motivation away from you.

Around 8:30, I called Jules and she had thought I was mad at her, as I hadn't called all day. I explained to her how my day went and she invited me over. Glad to be able to leave the Dynamic Duo alone for a few hours, I climbed into my Volvo convertible and drove the 17.4 miles to the West side of town. As I stepped outside, I noticed a pleasant breeze that could be mine for the duration of the ride and quickly decided to lower the top of the car. Here in AZ it's a rare thing to be able to use a convertible in the month of August and I enjoyed every mile. Arriving at my destination, I stopped and put the top back up to dissuade any would-be vandals from throwing their cigarette butts into my waiting and inviting car. I locked the Volvo and went to awaken Pawpaw with my presence.

Using my key, left over from a more romantic time, I let myself in and searched the kitchen for goodies taking a quick inventory for when Julie asked me if I was hungry. Pawpaw lead the way to the bedroom where I didn't see the Lovely Jules, as she was in the office portion of her bedroom complaining that her laptop wouldn't boot. She was wearing her headphones and using her desk top computer and grumbling about it all. Finally, she greeted me with a warm hug and asked if I were hungry. Since I didn't see anything but a few donuts that were on the counter, I told her no. I had already gotten my bottle of water.

In udder shock we discovered that the TV in the bedroom was in-op and were forced to watch SNL in her living room on the sofa. It appears that her cable was out in the back portion of the house. We turned on the TV and I watched Julie fade fast. She had put in a full day, as I slept the day away. I suggested she go to bed and I walked her back to her room, taking extra care not to smash her onto any walls. I delivered her to her bed and took the opportunity that I had been waiting for. I got the donuts and a single cookie from Paradise Bakery! Need I say anymore? I swiped the donuts and the single cookie and left a note describing my heist. This is where Karma comes in and bites me in the ass.

Exiting the house with my arms full was no easy feat. All of the bulbs were out and I was working in the dark, trying to secure the house without dropping my stolen goods. Once again, I needed to lower the top on the convertible to really enjoy this delightful night. Doing so, reminded me of a time long ago when I was a young kid and drove a convertible around the streets of Chicago, but I digress. Driving around town at this time of night allows me to watch all of the drunks weave around the roads and think to myself that not too many years ago, that was me. Entering the freeway, I passed a guy that clearly not in control of his car, wanting to make his crash his alone, not mine. Driving along with the wind in my face and what hair I've got left, I soaked in the pleasure of it all. That lasted about 5 minutes until at 70 MPH, I hit something I never even thought of. A rain storm! So, the one single time I decide to lower the top and enjoy life and take in all of it's beauty, someone up there decides to literally, "rain on my parade"!

Okay, here are my choices. Either stop on the shoulder and put up the top and continue or just keep hoping that I'll drive through this little cloud burst. I chose the latter. After about 4 or 5 threatening minutes, I made it though and it was beautiful in Scottsdale. I pulled into my garage where I could hear the Dynamic Duo that knew only too well where I had been. Unfortunately I knew exactly what poor Bogie had been up to, by the piles on the floor. With my donuts and one single cookie from the Paradise bakery in tow, I searched for my shovel and mop and bucket. Some things never change...

Mel
9/7/08

2 comments:

Jules said...

will you quit stealing pictures from my blog? The donuts you can have but it nothing else sacred?

Mel said...

Ghost Writer, I know who you are! You're the girl that kept leaving your own phone number on the boys bathroom wall!

Mel