Friday, September 12, 2008

The Problem with "Cricket" in the Fall...

My first month's experience with Cricket, my cell phone carrier, has not been good. Today I received a text saying they have not received my payment and be prepared for an interruption of service tomorrow. Whoa! I paid my bill on the first, along with everything else. Somehow my online payment didn't make it there, I'd better call them. That was the easy part, thinking it.

I dialed #611 and was immediately greeted by a menu in Spanish. It told me for English, dial 1. The menu continued in espaniol. I hit 1 again an was offered a brand new menu in English. Somehow I made it through that menu and waited for a human customer service rep. About 5 minutes later, an African American gentleman that I couldn't understand came online and said his name, which currently escapes me. My inability to understand him was a combination of poor telephone quality which I've experienced since I signed up with Cricket and his extreme accent. That's when I noticed that he also had an intelligence problem and was answering my questions from a script. I continually asked to talk with his boss and repeatedly told no! When I insisted, he told me that the boss has been telling him what to say, so it's going to be the identical answer. I found myself speaking slowly and clearly. This was my question: I kept telling him that I'm a new Cricket customer and what do I have to do to continue my service without having it interrupted due to non-payment, as I paid the bill on the first of the month. He repeatedly told me, no you didn't! I finally asked if I could pay it again right now with a credit card and he said yes, but there is a $5 charge for that. All I could do was laugh and say, I'm a new Cricket customer that is about to leave your company if you don't let me speak with your boss. He put me on hold for the 5th time. He came back saying that they were willing to waive the $5 charge this one time only and accept my payment by credit card. Whew! After putting out that fire, I found that I sent my payment to their return address, not the correct place to send payments. I'm sure that will get ironed out in time. (I hope).

My first month with Cricket was completely unacceptable and if it weren't for the fact that I just bought a $280 phone from them, I'd have been long gone with my new sexy phone number that ends with 6200, which is probably the only reason I went with them to begin with.

Mel
9/12/08

No comments: