Monday, September 8, 2008

My Second Day at the Sweat Shop...

My second day on the job didn't go as well as the first I'm afraid. What I had thought was normal protocol was just politeness offered to a new employee. Today, I realized that the honeymoon was over. It's kind of a sad existence that I endure after a happy successful pleasant career. I work in a sweat shop and endure the insults of that type of employee. My work is overlooked and critiqued to the point of insult. My day started like this.

The woman formerly known as the Lovely Jules, will now and for evermore be known as the "Boss". She is evil and her only intention is to weaken my stealthy attitude and make me just another member of the "line". For the line is the most important thing in the world and nothing is to stop it. I started by calling and advising the Boss about my schedule and was given a disinterested "whatever" as she drove her load down the 51 towards work. She told me that I had a lot of work ahead of me and get my ass over there to the sweat shop. Depressed I hung up and did what I was told.

I arrived at Undercurrents at 10:24 and punched in. Pawpaw who usually greeted me at the door as a welcome guest, sensed that I was a new employee, probably from my hunched over look and proceeded to growl and snap at me and finally went to his closet to sleep, only after looking back one last time to growl me a warning. Somewhat depressed, I proceeded to my work station. One of the rules that we must endure in the seat shop is to live without sunlight. This prevents the employees from having any original thoughts and confines their thinking to the "Line". At one point the door was opened and I heard a bird chirp and was told immediately to forget it! Head down I went back to work. I worked silently while the "Boss" shopped and bought frivolous items for a party she's attending with her partner swapping buddies. I couldn't be sure, but it looked like a short 6" mini skirt with knee high socks and a white Catholic school blouse. When she finally arrived smoking a big cigar, she ignored me and gave Pawpaw some cookies for guarding the house. When she looked at me, apparently with disgust, I was told that my work was inadequate and would have to improve or I'd be terminated. I worked harder and faster in an attempt to please her. Accidentally, I poked a tool right through my left hand and was told to suck it up, interrupting the "Line" is not accepted. I wrapped a rag around it until it went numb, but I continued working. Around 1 PM, I noticed the "Boss" eating a charming little salad and asked when my lunch hour was. That brought on a hardly laugh and was told not to make jokes while she's trying to watch her soap opera and eat her lunch. I was tossed a piece of dry bread from her entree and she pointed to the dog's bowl for a water supply. I was even more depressed than before, she told me that I had 60 seconds to eat that bread starting......... now! I wolfed it down and returned to the "Line".

That pretty much highlights my 16 hour day, but I realized that I earned a pretty good wage for my insignificant efforts. I averaged about $6 an hour. Before I left to pick up food for the Dynamic Duo, I was stopped at the door by the Boss and informed that from my wages I needed to kick in to the Undercurrents Christmas party fund and that would be 40% of my wages. Head down, I walked the 2 miles to my bus stop and rethought my attempt to working on the "Line".

Mel
9/8/08

2 comments:

Jules said...

Do I even dare dignify your pathetic post with a comment? It will, afterall, make you look popular if someone comments on your disparaging post. Was it after I did your grocery shopping for you? Or after I delivered your lunch of tacos that you insisted upon even though I said I was sick of Mexican food that led you to fictionalize this writing that you should be ashamed of. I demand you write a rebuttal... you sadistic bastard.

The lovely, Jules

Mel said...

I've got your rebuttal right here! There's NOT supposed to be a comma between Lovely and Jules!

The truth be told, I still own about 10 cars and didn't really take the bus home. I embellished that part..

Mel
PS. Thanks for the groceries and everything else, :)