Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just Another HOT Day...

As I sit here at my post at the kitchen table, I wonder why I'm glued to this spot. This is a laptop on a wireless connection, yet I sit here working, when I could be travelling about. Where would I go? The rest of you, that are experiencing spring, have no idea what 115 feels like. It's been really hot here in the "Valley of the Sun"... While I was driving home on our freeway, the I-17, the thermometer read 118, but quickly cooled down to a breezy 115. Who am I kidding, it was hotter than hell today!

So, I'm sitting here and my best friend is at my feet, begging for attention. When I break for a paragraph, I reach down and pet his head and as soon as I stop, he lifts his big head and lays it on my lap to remind me to never stop. Bogie is a Great Dane and he weighs in the area of 300 LB, the biggest one I've ever seen. I adopted him as a pup and never saw his parents, but was assured by the rescue that his father was a monster. I'll bet he was, if his number one son is any indication.

About a month and a half ago, I was at the Dealer's Auction and mistakenly bought a Volvo that drove through, but just barely. It was really cheap and pretty clean other than the engine not sounding so good. I figured, what the heck, I can use a project and since I've got a great mechanic, I'll buy it. First thing that happened was, when I called my friend/mechanic to help me pick it up. Out of his mouth came, that it has a blown head gasket. We towed it to the lot. Then, my friend/mechanic went online and guess-timated the cost of repair and it called for 26 hours of labor. Did I mention that I felt as if I'd made a mistake? Because the job was not what he called "profitable", the car then sat for about a month, when I had a talk with my friend/mechanic that was quickly just becoming my mechanic. I explained that these cars don't accrue in value as they sit there, and if he doesn't want me to take this "juicy" job somewhere else, he's best get going on it. The next day he had it all torn down and 3 days later, the head was off and it was sent to the machine shop, where we got an estimate of $800 just to mill the head. With a tear dropping from my otherwise dry eye, I told him to go ahead. That was about a week ago and today, our machine shop genius announced that the proper specifications for the head are not available and he doesn't want the job and I owe him for what he's done so far. Does that sound right to you? Because he's not interested in finding out the correct specs for this car, I have to pay his for his work so far. I called a wrecking yard and found a motor for $1350 and I'm not going to be able to use the old one at all. I did say this car has been a headache, right? This car still needs misc. parts, like windshield wiper arms, gas door, and dip stick. It still has some dents to remove and the battery is flat dead and this damned dog won't stop begging for attention to let me write this damned blog! I don't drink and I don't smoke and I recently gave up sex and all of those things sound pretty good to me right now... and my best friend in the whole world will not stop farting as he lays faithfully at my feet.. I think I'll go to bed. Tomorrow will probably be fine, just fine....

Mel
6/17/08

No comments: