Friday, October 10, 2008

Bloom's of Scottsdale...

After spending a pretty sleepless night with my poor retching dog, I awakened about 8 AM with about 3 hours of sleep. Today was to be the day that my partner in crime and myself were to visit Bloom's in Scottsdale to do a restaurant review. The Lovely Jules, with her writing talent has been commissioned by a travel magazine to do a "secret shopper" routine in specific restaurants around our valley and she gets paid good money to do so. since her reservations are for 2, I have graciously accepted the job to help her with the free eating portion of the review. Not only am I qualified, but experienced in such things with my many years of consuming restaurant foods.

LJ arrived about 45 minutes early sporting a couple of loaves of white bread for Bogie's new bland diet. My baby boy that was so sick last night brightened his attitude when his favorite lady came bouncing through the garage door, unannounced. If Bogie had worn pants, he would have wet them. We goofed around for awhile and I finally threw on my eating out clothes. If I get dressed too early I get covered in slobber, which is not that good a look on me. We headed out about 12:15 for our 12:30 reservations that were not really necessary, as the place was busy, but not crowded. My first observation was that the young overweight hostess was wearing a dress that had come straight from the dryer and could have used a quick ironing. We were seated in a booth, as I had to explain to the hostess that I like to nap between courses while eating. She smiled and wondered if I were serious.

Our waitress was pleasant and sported a warm, friendly personality, although her profile made it obvious that a chin implant wouldn't have hurt. I don't think I'm supposed to mention that sort of thing in my review however. We ordered our appetizers. LJ had the calamari salad and I enjoyed my shrimp cocktail salad, as well. The salads were plentiful and delicious. For our main entrees, LJ had the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans and I had the prime rib sandwich, that although it was good, not what I expected. I expected a meat sandwich, but the entree was shaved beef with a brie cheese melted into it and a mayonnaise dressing. It was served with french fries and I had an iced tea to go along with it. I will say that there was about a 45 minute wait between courses and we were mentioning the time element. Once again, our waitress offered her humor when she was taking LJ's appetizer. She gave her a stern look and said, come on, 2 more bites. We all laughed and LJ accommodated.

It was mandatory that we order dessert, to bad huh? I had a chocolate banana creation that was simply excellent and Julie said she's pick off of mine. I took the waitress aside and told her not to bring Julie silverware, but she did anyway. I enjoyed my dessert with a delicious cup of hot coffee that cut the sweet taste nicely.

The check was presented and LJ swiftly scooped it up and paid it with her company credit card. That may have been my favorite part of the meal! Not only did I get to enjoy a free delicious meal at an upscale Scottsdale restaurant, but Julie gave me her leftover meatloaf for my dinner. She called me tonight to tell me that her body parts were rejecting something that she ate today. I'm feeling pretty good, it may have been the calamari...

Part of the review was to find something wrong and tell the waitress about it and record her reaction to a complaint. Frankly, there was nothing to complain about, other than her weak chin and Julie wouldn't let me mention it...

Mel
10/10/08

No comments: