Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I've Got a Story for Ya!

Born into a family of 5, the middle son of 3 brothers, we somehow managed to hate each other from the beginning and it lasted a lifetime. Laurance, my older brother arrived first in June of 1943, me showing up in March of 1946 and the youngest brother popping out in August of 1950. Laurance, aka Larry, was 2 years and 9 months my senior and the only significance that held for me was his identification. I learned by working our family mailbox just right, I could become almost 3 years older by just being there to receive the ID's. Suddenly I was Laurance J. Fisher, age 21, able to drink and enjoy all of the privileges of a person of majority. I didn't want to vote necessarily, but I did walk into the bars of Chicago quite freely and enjoyed their hospitality at the immature age of 18. I went directly from high school to adult in about 10 seconds. I didn't have his driver's license, but did manage to cop his draft cards and voter's registration cards. To this day he never knew why he was declared a Democrat without entering a voting booth. He and I helped vote in JFK and I don't know of another person that was my age that can claim that.

I moved out of my parent's home at a young age and moved into an apartment with a Chicago cop for a roommate. He got me a fake police star and between my fake IDs and my badge to flash, the city was mine to experiment with and I assure you I took advantage of it to the fullest. We'd walk straight into busy bars without waiting in lines and owners of these establishments couldn't give us enough free things, just to have police presence in their restaurants and bars. Everyday was Christmas until one day at a whore house in Indianapolis, a pimp broke into our car and stole our guns and wallets. That was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. It probably saved my life. I was no longer a cop and had to live out my boring life without the perks that came along with being "on the job". My roommate was soon killed in a shootout and I went ahead and got married and settled down making a family. Writing this portion of my life has made me recall several yarns from my wild past that I'll spin at another time.

Mel
10/21/08

No comments: