Monday, October 13, 2008

Practicing What I Preach...

Over the past few weeks, I've visited what used to be my car lot a few times a week for various reasons. On one occasion Paul, my former landlord and mechanic was cleaning up a car that he bragged that he had sold to a young woman. He told me she wanted to buy it 2 nights ago, but he had a softball game and couldn't find the time to do the transaction. He told her to come back and in the meanwhile, he'd also check it out for her. I asked how much of a deposit he had gotten and he told me that he never thought to ask for one, but she'll be back for sure, she's already called several times to make sure he was getting it ready for her. Without sounding like a know-it-all, I tried to explain the difference between a real buyer and someone that is entertaining themselves at your expense. Paul seemed bored with my lecture and I soon left. I wound up at the lot again today, to pay Paul for some work he had done for me and there on what used to be my front line, was the car that Paul was certain was sold to the young lady.

Without showing the smug look that was trying to escape from my face, I asked what that car was still doing here. He told me that when he called her to tell her it was ready, she said it was a lot of money for that car and she's going to have to think about it. "STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT" came to mind and once again I reminded him of my lecture with a stiff, "I told you so"! Paul assured me that he would sell it for more to the next person.

Fast forward about 3 hours and my phone rings and it's the Lovely Jules asking me if I can help her tomorrow with a little line work in plastics. I tell her absolutely, as I haven't even seen her since our restaurant review. She told me to get up early, she would be expecting me about 9 AM and we hung up. About an hour later, my cell phone rings, a rarity, and it's a gentleman that is calling for a car for his father who by chance, just moved here from Michigan. He asked me if I would be available tomorrow morning at about 9 or 10 and I told him I did have plans then, but I'd be home all evening today and tomorrow. He said, that sounds like it will still work and hung up to reiterate with his father. Suddenly, without warning, I was given the image of that car sitting unsold on the front line of my car lot and the buyer, the young girl, running around with a different car, because Paul was busy with a ball game and couldn't sell it to her. I immediately called the gentleman back and said, I would be available whatever time would be convenient for him and I would make it my business to be accommodating. He truly appreciated that and I felt good knowing that he wouldn't be running around all day with my $3000 in his pocket, just burning a hole.

I called the Lovely Jules and told her I'd be late and she said, no problem.

Mel
10/13/08

No comments: