Monday, November 26, 2007

Lucy, You Got Some Splaining to Do......

A good rule of thumb, and I have no idea where that expression originated, is to know your limitations and never go beyond without an escape route. For example, I consider myself a good driver. I've avoided accidents by having a combination of quick reflexes and knowledge of my vehicle, but would never attempt to fly a jet plane without an experienced pilot sitting next to or on top of me. Do you see my point?

I arrived at Julie's house last night after a confused day of conflicting schedules and misunderstandings. She ran to me like a child with good report card. I could tell she had something newsworthy to tell me. She was so proud to tell me that she'd bought the TV that she'd been talking about for a couple of weeks and brought it home and bought a set of shelves to put it on and has it all assembled in her spare room and it's almost ready to go. I inquired if she had cable in that room as she'd need that too. She proudly told me yes, and she had installed it herself and threw the expression "stud finder" around a little bit. As you can imagine, she joked about that as she mentioned she was using it around her neighborhood looking for love. I gave her the obligatory phony laugh and we moved on.

We entered the room that was to accommodate the new TV and there it was sitting on the floor, next to her new black shelves that she built and installed. She even anchored the shelves to the wall, putting her new "stud finder" to work. Sticking out of an open closet door was the cable she had found up in the attic, looking like an umbilical cord that needed bobbing. Although I give her credit for getting that far, I offered to refine the look a little by running it though the ceiling and down the wall behind the shelves.

On the floor, in the middle of the newspaper was a large pile of hardware and when I asked what that was all about, she replied that they must be extra parts for the shelves. I was really impressed that she had gotten so far, as I doubt that I would have gotten half as far if I were knitting, something that Julie is accomplished at. I offered to finish the task for her and she accepted my gracious offer. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to do the job without her finding out, that I don't have a clue.

No comments: