Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight!

Now that I've learned that I can hold my own on an assembly line, I've developed a new self confidence. Whether it's power supplies or plastics, the world is now at my feet and I no longer have to retain the tunnel vision of just being able to sell used cars. Today was an eventful day and I'm kind of glad it's over. It started late last night when I tried to prove to my girlfriend that I can do anything that a man 60 can do, but perhaps not as long. My evening started out at the lovely Julie's house where she painstakingly prepared me a meal fit for the Gods. It consisted of a salad including things that only grew in Eve's garden and a generous portion of one of my favorites, lasagna. Oddly, all of the things that Julie prepared came in plastic packaging that said AJ's on it. Everything was delicious, as usual. After an evening of bliss, I headed down my friend the 101 to my pups and a good night's sleep. When I arrived, the Dynamic Duo were fine, but a good night's sleep was not available. I guess I was just too excited about our dinner, (wink)!

I awakened about 8 AM and quickly got ready for the auto auction. I spent about 3 hours there walking a total of about 3 miles, averaging just 1 mile an hour. I did bid on one car but didn't get it, as the owner evidently thought it was worth more than anyone else. At about 12:30 I headed over to the lot to see if Paul had done anything besides cash my check, to welcome me back after a 3 month sabbatical. As I moseyed into the lot and I couldn't find a parking place for even my own car, there was Paul, covered in grease, complaining about an engine from the wrecking yard that wasn't clean enough for his strict standards. I told him if it were mine, I'd just send it back. I think that's what he wanted me to say. He rejected it and it was on it's way back to the seller, ABC Junk.

I've learned over the years that I can't just tell Paul anything, but rather have to back into topics and let him bring them up. This held true today. I told him that I thought maybe his brother would have moved his car off of my lot by now, blaming everyone but Paul, in spite of the fact that I know Paul owns that car now. Paul said he was just about to do that when I arrived. Today is the 6th of the month and my rent got paid on the 1st! That's when Paul said, "What are we going to do about the rent"? Shocked I told him I paid it, didn't he receive it? He said yes, but that he wants more money... After giving him a long stare I said, when I rented out a house to some people, I made sure that my renters were happy. Anything that they wanted, I supplied and the reason for that was, they were paying me rent! You, on the other hand, take my money and offer complaints about not getting enough, you give me nothing for my money. (The fight was on). I explained that he not only continues to occupy the property that he's rented to me, but he cannibalized the property taking out the air conditioning system in the middle of July! His excuse was that his kids needed it more than me. WHAT? He repeated that I was only there a matter of 6 or 8 hours a week and his kids were there all day everyday and they needed a/c more than me. I explained that he should have bought a new unit instead of stealing mine. Paul will never understand that I'm right on this issue, so I decided to move along.

That's when he told me he wants an additional $250 per month. I looked at him and said, NO! What about an extra $100 a month, he countered. I told him I'd just go ahead and move out and to rent it to someone else. Then he asked for a second month's rent for security and I told him no again. I also told him that if doesn't vacate the property I'm moving out and left him standing there to argue with himself. I was adamant about not budging. As I drove out the driveway, he called my cell phone and asked if he could just keep one of his junk cars there until he figures out what to do with it. Again I told him no, get it cleared out and hung up. I was determined to get what was coming to me or move out. Paul brought a knife to my gun fight!

No comments: