Wednesday, November 21, 2007

That's How this Whole Thing Got Started!

Julie, trying to get me jealous with Bogie...



Julie came over about 2:30 today. She brought some raw ingredients for tomorrows dinner and we went to
lunch at Chile's. Julie LOVES their chicken sandwich, it's the only thing she orders when we're there. It's a marinated chicken breast with Swiss cheese and bacon, quite tasty. I had the same thing, she insisted. After lunch we came back to the house and took the Dynamic Duo for a walk to the park, Julie's first time walking well behaved dogs.

Once at the park and it's only 4 doors away from the house, I always allow Zoie to run loose. Both dogs behave extremely well, but Bogie is "dog aggressive" and I can't take the chance that another dog enters the park while he's off leash. Today, it was rather unpopulated and I let him go free. Both dogs ran to the gate of an old friend of mine, Marian. Marian is a very short Filipino lady that used to have Great Danes too, but it's been so long since I'd seen her that I was sure their old pups had long since passed on. Over the top of their wall and it's easily 6 feet tall, 3 separate heads popped up well over the top. Three Great Dane heads! Then Marian's head popped up too. She introduced Julie and I to her 3 new Danes and told me that Penny, one of her original Danes is still with her at 14. I was just thrilled to see that she was still involved with the breed, they're habit forming for sure. I acquired my first Dane about 33 years ago and seemingly have always had them in my life. They're so human!

About 10 years ago I had a golf cart and a little Schnorky, a combination of Yorkie and Schnauzer, that weighed about 8 LB. I used to drive around the streets in my electric golf cart and enjoy the breezes in the spring and fall. This particular day, Peewee and I were riding along when we spotted a fenced in front yard with 2 beautiful Danes in it. I slammed on the brakes and made a U-turn and went back to see if I could get a closer look. Marian the owner was out front and invited Peewee and myself into her yard to say hello to her two pups. I asked if I could go home and get my (then) wife to visit too. Marian agreed. I got my wife and Marian invited us in for lemonade and we spent about 2 hours with her visiting. The next day I was on a mission and started my search for Bogie. That's how this whole thing got started!

No comments: