Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Four and a Half Years SOBER!

I was speaking with a friend tonight and went over a few things that have changed in the past few years. One thing that is pretty obvious is the fact that I've fallen love with the printed word again. What could have happened that made me give up reading? Oh, I remember! I was drunk. All of the years that I abused alcohol, I stopped reading. Who could focus on a story or history or science or anything, when you're seeing it in ddoouubbllee? Not me! Without realizing it, I'm celebrating 4 and 1/2 years sober and the stack of books that I've gone through in the past 6 months verifies my sobriety. Although you can't see me, I'm currently reaching around and patting myself on the back. Good job, old boy!

I'm still waiting to get stopped by a cop and have him ask me how much I've had to drink tonight, so I can give him my practiced belly laugh and reply, NOTHING!

No comments: