Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Aftermath of the Storm...

(Julie and Bogie 8/2007)
Last night's storm left it's mark everywhere. Leaves blown around, but mostly in the pool. This is also the season for palm trees to go to seed and that was evident by the debris in my pool basket. Even more evident were the results of last night's sleeping patterns. Somewhere around 11 PM, I opened the front door for the dogs and I to sit out there and watch the rain pour down. We were safely under the overhang allowing us a dry private viewing. After about 2 minutes, the show became monotonous and we came inside and closed the door, with absent minded me forgetting to turn off the outside front light. No biggy.

Around 3 AM, I was awakened to a whimpering that turned out to be Bogie. When I woke up, there was Bogie huddled in bed with Zoie, something he NEVER does. Bogie is an Alpha and is not a cuddler. He's affectionate, but you cannot lean on him or otherwise disrespect him in his doggy terms and he never allows Zoie too close to him. She understands this and keeps her distance. These are dog rules, he allows me to do anything with him and allowed Julie to lay next to him the very first day he met her, which literally shocked me. Usually with an Alpha you move a little more slowly. So to find Bogie in bed with Zoie last night was really a shock. I asked him if he needed to go out and he responded by getting up, but wouldn't leave the bedroom. I prompted him, but still he stayed behind. Suddenly I realized why. I had left the light on outside and as it trickled in through the crystal windows, it was represented on the tile floor in an unusual pattern. One that Bogie had never seen before and was scared to go in there. As soon as I turned off the outside light, he came along with me and went outside and did his business. How cute that this 300 LB monster was afraid of a little light show. I think that, combined with the thunder was just too much for my big boy. Zoie slept through everything.

Mel
8/26/08

No comments: