Saturday, August 2, 2008

Friday, a Day Off...


MJ with her new granddaughter.

Today was a rather eventful day for the dating guy. I had a date with my new steady girl, MJ. Our date was for her to pick me up and go to do errands. It started out with Home Depot on a quest for light bulbs. Upon entering the monster superstore devoted to, would be weekend warriors, we happened upon a near sighted gentleman wearing a Home Depot badge and helping another deserving customer. After waiting and trying to search out the elusive bulbs ourselves, we chased down the near sighted employee and asked him if he could help us. MJ produced the bulbs in question, after removing them from their paper towel lined baggy. A great packager is important and MJ fits that need in me. Our new friend held the bulbs up to the light, squinted and went on his search for the right bulbs. First of all, this woman has produced 3 different types of bulbs, that may have come from her space ship and I wouldn't have suspected a thing. I had never in my years seen bulbs of such quaint shapes and sizes, making me wonder if Home Depot sends their employees to "Bulb School"! If they don't they ought to. This guy didn't know much more then us. After trying about 1557 different bulb, MJ had to convince our super salesman that one of the ones he had suggested looked right. I could see that our boy just wanted to get rid of us and was agreeing everything we said.

Our next stop was Del Taco. Having never been there before, I was about to experience a new and different fast food trip. MJ knew exactly what she wanted and ordered her fish taco, to which I refuse to make the obvious comment. Standing in wonderment and confusion, I studied the billboard menu and noticed they had things that the average consumer might not recognize, such as the Carbon Taco. Knowing the pressure was on, I ordered the Macho Grande Burrito, not knowing what it was, but respecting it's name! After about 3 or 4 minutes, a girl yelled out number 5, which is not a good way of convincing their customer base that they are terribly successful. After all, it was lunch hour and we were only number 5 and the joint was almost empty. Finally, I got my Macho Grande Burrito and it was pretty big, alright. They served it with an order of fries and a soft drink and honestly, I've never had Mexican food served with fries, but I digress...

I bit into my Macho Grande Burrito, that was covered with unmelted cheese and causing a reason not to tip it and dump the cheese into my waiting wrapper. I neglected to mention that it was seemingly wrapped in a paper bag that MJ was polite enough to tell me was really a flour torilla, but it was ragged and torn and falling apart. My first bite was pure sour cream with a piece of my paper bag to enhance the experience. The thing I like about my Macho Grande Burrito was I never knew what the next bite would hold. Sometimes it was just lettuce and sour cream and other times chopped beef and beans. Never a boring moment. I worked my way though this ragged approach to Mexican lunch and threw in the proverbial towel and wouldn't have been surprised if indeed there was one of those in my burrito too.

After leaving Del Taco, we headed to Target for MJ to return a basket, where we were pretty successful, in spite of my carrying on with the employees, forever giving them more credit of having senses of humor than they deserve.. MJ reminded me that Target has cleaner bathrooms than Costco, so I took advantage of their hospitality, only to find that my personal urinal would not flush, causing me to regretfully leave that clean restroom a little worse for wear. (TMI, I know).

Next stop Costco, where I'm not only a preferred customer, but I seem to know my way around the place. After browsing and looking and playing for a time, MJ reminded me that it was getting closer to the time that they split for lunch at the pharmacy. It's nice having MJ with me, as she's a registered nurse as well as a hospice nurse and she can advise me on my nutritional intake. For example, I was always fond of Cranberry juice and I knew it was good for me..............wrong! MJ pointed out that it was only 30% fruit juice and no one knows what the other 70% was, but she also pointed out that it has 34 grams of sugar and I surely don't need that. Reluctantly I put my cranberry juice back onto the shelf, remarking to a elderly man that was passing by, that she won't let me have ANYTHING! I picked up a package of roast beef to throw into the cart and she made me buy sliced turkey to even out my fat intake, shit! When I tried to buy the breakfast sausage, she about threw a fit pointing out the amount of saturated fat it had. She made me put it back too. We left Costco with me grumbling under my breath, but knowing that I had a full gallon of their vanilla ice cream that I slipped into my cart when MJ wasn't looking..

We headed back to my house and were welcomed by the Dynamic Duo, happy to see us. MJ stayed about 20 minutes, but had to get going as she was having a girls night at her house. God only knows what went on behind those closed doors. I walked MJ out to her car and she gave me a hug and a long lingering kiss. God I love those kisses, (wink)!

The Dating Guy, on the first of August...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's very cute. The baby is cute as well! lol.....