Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Three Ring Circus for Seniors...

I arrived at MJ's at about 6:45 after a quick stop at my favorite florist for a dozen roses. After all, this was to be an eventful night. Our plans were to go to dinner at an upscale Scottsdale restaurant and then dancing. Dancing is something I've done over the years for a reason. The reason is "women". Women like to dance and when you're an accommodating date, you simply go along with the flow... Women constantly ask men, "Do you like to dance"? We all say yes, but the truth of the matter is, when a group of guys get together to go out, going dancing is NEVER mentioned! They might go to the bar where women are dancing and dance with them, but it's not a primary goal. I'm just glad we settled that.

I called the White Chocolate Grill for reservations, but was told they don't accept reservations and to call about 30 minutes before we arrive and they'll put us on the "wait list". Whatever, was my reaction, but took down their phone number just in case we wound up going there. MJ looked wonderful in a well proportioned print dress with a see through upper part. The expression "arm candy" came to mind as she invited me in. She put my Fry's roses in water and we chatted for a time, and then she announced she was hungry so we left. Upon getting into the car, I remember Amanda's suggestion about calling ahead and I did. I told her that we'd be there in about 30 minutes and as we pulled up, there was not only a parking place right by the front door, but people were spewing out the front door into the 106 degree temperatures, indicating a mob!

MJ had the insight to make reservations elsewhere just in case the wait was too long. We entered, spotted a young girl with a name tag reading Amanda and announced our arrival. She handed me a vibrator and smiled and went to the next perspective customer. I interrupted and asked how long our wait would be and she smiled and said 2 minutes. About 10 seconds later, our vibrator went off and I smiled and told MJ, this girl can't judge time!

We were seated and a young waiter named Joe came over and tried to welcome us, but because of the roar of noise, I could hardly hear him, but watched his mouth move and nodded at all of the right times. The place sounded like we had entered a bee hive, the constant humming of loud conversation. The acoustics sucked the big one! MJ remember to bring my glasses after a little prodding on my part, like, "Hey, did you bring my glasses", when we got into the car? She had gone back into her house to retrieve them. Surfing the menu was a real surprise. The pricing was very reasonable for this nice, clean, upscale restaurant. MJ ordered a salad and I had their Chicken sandwich, both were served timely and were above average. At some point the noise got to me and I suggested we leave and head over to Eli's to go dancing. (I got the music in my soul!)

Parking at the famous Eli's was dense and it made me feel bad to have to give up my great spot in front of the restaurant's door, then realized I was thinking like an old person... Getting lost in the maze they call their parking lot, we wound up directly behind Eli's and the walk was about 40 yards, not bad aye?

I'd known the owners of this place for some 30 plus years and kind of felt like I'd grown up with them. In the old days, I had my name engraved on their mirror along with a lot of the regular customers, but haven't seen any of them in about 7 or 8 years and a lot has happened in that time. I was literally shocked when I went in. All of the old staff were still there, only they were "old"! There were a lot of young new bar tenders, but Greg the owner was there and gray haired and kind of bent over, but still pouring drinks and socializing with old time customers. It was like I walked into a time warp, but everyone was older. Waitresses were in their 50's and the average customer was in his 60's. I was right at home. There were bald, white haired men on the dance floor still trying to dance the night away along with women that were the disco queens of the 70's. I think the smile never left my face all night.

As I said earlier, MJ's dress was quite nice and a steady barrage of women walked by her commenting to her about how nice her dress was. MJ was clearly the prettiest woman in the joint and every man did a turn around as he walked past her. I made it a point to walk to the bar and order drinks from Greg and see if he even recognized me. Greg looked up and I could see his mind going ito it's archives to recall me and almost without hesitation said, Hi Mel, what'll you have. Then, watching his face, the information he had requested came to view and he said, been a long time. We reminisced for a brief moment and he was too busy to stand and chat. I took my white wine and coke to our seats at the wall.

The band was playing old rock and roll music from the 70's and 80's as this crowd would enjoy and I didn't have to worry about learning the new dances, this crowd was locked into the past. Carefully waiting until a song was about half over, I asked MJ to dance and she said to wait for a slow song, being ever conscious of my heart being compromised by the attack of the Indian doctor that tried to kill me some 3 years ago. I told her no, it's fine. We walked up to the dance floor, MJ dancing on the way there. MJ is a good dancer and I watched her move to the music along with all of the male population of the bar. I'm still not sure I like that much attention to my date by every guy in the joint. I moved my feet to the music like I used to 20 years ago and I was dancing the same steps as everyone else. This was a big move for me, this was the first time I'd danced since my heart surgery and although it winded me, I survived it, I was a "dancing fool"...

Eventually, I drove MJ home, gave her a kiss goodnight and headed home to the Dynamic Duo for an anticlimactic end to my evening. It was almost 3 AM and I realized, not only had I visited the past, I was even on my old schedule!

The Dating Guy
8/3/08

No comments: