Sunday, January 27, 2008

4-Wheeling at St. Jules...

Yesterday turned out to be an interesting and delightful day. That seldom happens around here, lately. Who knew that women can't measure things? It was obvious when I told St. Jules that I was 6 feet tall and she had thought I was much taller than that. Due to poor previous information on most weight and measures, poor St. Jules was left without a lot of information on that sort of thing. She told me that Lake Pleasant was only 10 minutes from her house, when in fact it took over 30 minutes to get there, poor thing.
When we arrived, St. Jules already had her hand in her new Coach bag retrieving 6 bucks entry fee for the park. Always being a little slow on the draw, I missed that one terribly. Oh, well. We drove into the park and parked our Expedition fairly far from the Marina where we decided to have lunch. We passed campers that looked more like they were living there than camping, but that's their choice. We passed men fishing that resembled enthusiastic fisherman because the weather was not idea for fishing a breezy 55ish with direct sun. When we entered the Marina we thought it was closed, but quickly saw about 4 people sitting and eating. I guess cool weather didn't bring a lot of boaters out. We ordered sandwiches and shared an order of fries that killed any idea of a future life for about 3 large potatoes. We left about 2 1/2 of them on the table. This time I was quicker than St. Jules, particularly when she asked if I was going to "get" this one or not. The word, "huh" came from my mouth as she tossed the check my way. I mumbled something about $40 for 2 sandwiches and we left, only to return to find the missing sun glasses that eluded poor Julie, never to be seen again.
We headed out to the lake to take some pictures and exited the Marina area. St. Jules assured me that we would be able to re-enter as long as we left our receipt on the dash. This turned out not to be true and the very next time we tried to re-enter the park a nasty woman with an attitude told us that we had to pay again. This pissed me off and I turned and exited. We tried another entrance where the gentleman that manned that gate never even looked, but rather waved us through. We headed for a small portion of the lake that looked lightly populated and practiced my off road skills, only to find out that Jules is not a fan of off road travel, ever since they rolled a mustang while 4-wheeling with her little daughter Nikki in the car. How you 4-wheel with a Mustang is beyond me, but that was her business. St. Jules tried to exit the moving vehicle just to impress upon me her non-acceptance of the off road adventure. I thought she was joking and continued to push her out the door a little!
St. Jules decided to climb the next portion of mountain to the summit as I drove up along side of her in the Expedition. When she refused to ride back down with me and insisted on walking along side the Expedition, I got the impression that she was serious about all of this. (note to self, don't take Julie 4 -wheeling)
We left the park about 3 and headed to a shopping experience at Kohl's, our least favorite place to shop in the world. We found a pair of matching corduroy shirts for $7 each and bought them with Julie beating me to register as I stopped to tie the laces on my loafers. (2nd note to self, try to pay faster than St. Jules)...
We left for home, a 10 minutes drive to some and arrived there some 30 minutes later. Pawpaw was glad to see us. I think St. Jules had had enough of me as she pushed me out the front door. I managed to grab her vacuum cleaner to take home and fix, as I'd promised about 6 months ago. I went home to the Dynamic Duo that were clearly ready for dinner, making this evident by ripping the sleeve off of my shirt.
Before leaving Julie's house, we made dinner arrangements. St. Jules was going to go to the store and buy baby-back ribs for dinner and I was to return around 7:30. In spite of the store being out of baby back ribs, Julie got spare ribs and made scalloped potatoes with home made Cole slaw and for dessert a chocolate mocha raspberry mousse'. Dinner was awesome in spite of the fact that Julie was unhappy with the ribs. I thought they were fine, but Pawpaw got the majority of them and never complained once. Either did I!
St. Jules and I shared my Mousse' with me feeding her every other spoonful, while hers remained in the fridge. She doesn't think that I know she got it out and ate every spoonful alone as soon as I left. Shh...... It's her secret..
When I left, Julie was asleep on the couch and I went into her fridge and not only scooped a fingertip full of her Mousse', but stole 2 of her eggs to harvest at a future date.
We had a pretty nice day all and all and Julie only really fell out of the car once...
Mel
1-27-08

1 comment:

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.