Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursdays are always Quiet...

Today was unseasonably cold. We don't really have the wardrobes to dress for this weather. For the most part, the early morning was in the upper 30's and eventually got to 58. To us, that's frickin cold! I opted not to go to the auction this morning, as the wind was blowing and frankly, if you live in a place where it's almost always ideal, there's no reason suffer the extremes of the climate, when you can just wait a day or two for it to warm up... Sound like I'm spoiled, I am...
I ventured down to my car lot today and "weathered" the extreme elements. This is another example of adverse weather conditions. The trailer that I occupy for an office is not heated and after a cold night like last night, it was a good 20 degrees colder inside than it was outside in the sun. In the summertime, it's the same, but the other extreme. That trailer gets up to 130 degrees in the summer without using the AC, which is currently not installed. It will be a deal breaker this summer and if I know Paul, my landlord, he'll wait until the very last moment to do anything about it. It will be 110 degrees in July when he finally puts on the right hat to install the AC that sits on the ground next to the trailer. It's a shame that he's so predictable.
When I got there, Paul already had his menagerie of onlookers. They consisted of old Bob, a 70 year old man that sells cars occasionally and works full time at a furniture store. With old Bob, was his son, a 34 year old man that seemed to know everything about everything, we've all seen the type. In addition was Al, an old friend of Paul's from high school that just hangs around Paul's when he's got a day off from his job at Avis where he changes oil on their rental fleet. The most important thing that happened to him this decade was driving school that the state insisted upon, after his last speeding ticket. Al quotes from the "Rules of the Road" like nobodies business! So, there you have the entourage plus me, a 61 year old man that's trying to find out what he used to do for a living before he retired 3 years ago. I seem to be in the right place, I just seemed busier back then.
I stood around listening to bullshit for about an hour and left after putting the sale price on my 07 Chevy truck and rearranging a few cars that I've owned since before the invention of the wheel. I headed home and noticed my gas gauge was screaming for me to stop and fill up. I paid about $290 a gallon for fuel and thanked my lucky stars for Toyota! I headed home for a late lunch... and a nap.

No comments: