Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Julie Got the GOOD One!!!

Happy 2008!
This year came roaring in with a lot more hoopla than last year. Last year, I recall sitting with the Dynamic Duo and watching Dick Clark age just a little more... I said a "Happy New Year" to the dogs and went swiftly to sleep. When I awakened, 2007 was already well on it's way and it was business as usual.
This year I spent New Years Eve with the "Lovely Jules"....

After some confusion about what we were going to do to celebrate this "Holy Holiday", (Only holy to Born Again Lovers"), Julie asked at the eleventh hour, "Is the new Tutti Santi's open yet"? As the light bulb actually lit over my head duh, I volunteer that I'd call and find out, then call her back. First I tried calling Robbie, my Tutti Santi connection, but he didn't answer. I tried the phone book, but that only gave me the other locations. I tried the Scottsdale location and got Louisa, who was nice enough to give me the West Side phone number and after jumping through 12 hoops of voicemail, Jane answered with her Chicago accent and offered to help me. After asking all the right questions she told me that they'd be happy to seat me tonight at either 7 or 9 PM, which is a lot better than the Hammerhead that said if we could get there immediately, they could seat us, but were packed for the rest of the night. I chose the 7 PM seating and she asked how many would be in my party, Mr. Fisher? Completely forgetting about caller ID, I thought somehow she recognized my voice. How vain is that? She asked me to confirm the phone number that I was calling from and I told her to look down and just get it, she laughed.. Suddenly, I had remedied something I'd been worrying about all week. We had plans for New Year's Eve! I couldn't wait to call Julie back and tell her the good news. She was delighted as well.

After telling the Dynamic Duo goodnight and wishing them a happy new year, I left for the home of the "Lovely Jules", about 20 minutes away. I had bought a nice bottle of champagne and thought to prepare it in a Styrofoam box I'd been saving for just the right occasion and filled it with ice and the champagne. That done, I dressed and felt confident that I'd done my part to make this a memorable event. As I drove West on my old friend the 101, I whistled along to the music, that by the grace of God was NOT Christmas music!

I showed up at Julie's house promptly at 6:45, giving us just the right amount of time to get to the restaurant in time for our reservation. Julie looked wonderful, sporting all of her "bling" and a new suede jacket that she had bought that day, to wear with her tight jeans and her turtle neck top, outlined with a giant diamond necklace. Overflow has been kind!

Tutti Santi's was a mere 5 minute ride from her house and we found it without incidence. We parked on the far side of the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised to see the magnitude of the decor. It was elegant, yet warm and done with a great deal of taste. Jane, the hostess, was easily recognized by her screaming Chicago accent.. She asked us if we'd prefer the bar or the Art Room and we didn't indicate a preference. She seated us in the Art Room, that was outlined with Matao's paintings. Matao is the son of the owner, Leo. Matao welcomed us and came walking over with an outstretched hand. I'd never seen Leo with a suit on before and he looked like a little boy wearing his Dad's suit. He must be about 5' 2".

I looked over and could see that Julie was impressed, by the smile she had on her face. Between the beautiful decor and Leo's heavy Italian accent, Julie was being swept away to a sidewalk cafe' in Naples and she'd brought me along for the ride. She looked happy.... and that made me happy...

We ordered and enjoyed the homemade chicken broth along with a delightful loaf of bread and garlic butter. The wait staff worked well together for the most part and everything was at the 9's. That's when it happened. We had just gotten our entrees and were about to eat like kings and queens when Julie reached over and whispered in my ear, "My Tutti Santi's is better than your Tutti Sant's"! I was flabbergasted and overwhelmed, but she was right! She now had a place on her side of town where she can always count on a meal of perfection when she doesn't want to cook and only 5 minutes away....

We finished the meal and took the quiet ride back to Julie's house and brought in the new year like content adults really ought to..... I'll leave the rest to your imaginations...... Happy New Year, 2008.....

1 comment:

C.A. said...

Very nice reading, Mel. :) I laughed outloud at the part where you thought the girl on the phone somehow recognized your voice. :)

Your New Years Eve sounds much more exciting than mine was!

:)

C.A.