Friday, January 18, 2008

Addictive Personality

I have an addictive personality. I find a place that I like and I go there and it takes an awful lot to change my mind. I like Chile's grilled chicken sandwich. It's a marinated chicken breast, grilled to perfection served with Swiss cheese and bacon, on a bed of lettuce and tomato, along with a secret sauce. Every time I want to go there for lunch, the "Lovely Jules" moans and groans and suggests other places. Evidently, she does NOT have an addictive personality. We arranged to have lunch today, since she's going to bed early tonight so she'll be ready to build a house tomorrow. She, along with her employees have decided to donate time to a charity and tomorrow they're helping in the building of a house, from start to finish.
Somehow we wound up at Desert Ridge, not my favorite place. It began with a woman driving a Buick almost running us off the road in her effort to get on the freeway first. Through the grace of God we survived the ride there and Julie pointed to "The Office" and decided that's where we ought to eat. I was all for it as I've never been in a restaurant in Desert Ridge that was adequate.
As usual, we had a difficult time finding the front door to the place, as each door had an arrow in it as if to say, "Nope, not this one"! Finally, and it was only our second try, we entered through a foyer area that had a greasy looking man standing there, asking us how many? He doubled as the bartender, as it turned out. We were seated in the empty restaurant in a knotty pine booth that was not the least bit enticing. Although someone had spent a fortune decorating the place, it reminded me of a dark tavern deep in the heart of somewhere in Wisconsin. The ceiling was lined with TVs showing it was a sports bar. The word overkill, comes to mind. We were offered a menu that boasted of great treasures ahead indicated primarily by the pricing. Someone had to pay for all of those TVs!
Our waitress may have been the sister of the host/bartender and had that same greasy look to her. The place was enormous and she was the only wait staff there. This was okay because there was only one other table in the place that was occupied. It was occupied by 6 people that clearly left work early to get drunk...
I chose the grilled chicken breast with bacon and avocado and Julie ordered the Greaseburger. Both of our entree were named after their most predominant ingredients... Julies was literally dripping and it saturated her bread. She only ate half and brought the leftovers home to Pawpaw.
My chicken sandwich came and before the waitress could leave, I tried to tell her that I don't want it, but Julie assured her that I was just joking, I wasn't. Sometimes I wish I had a camera phone so I could have taken a picture of this monstrosity. Here is what she brought me. It was a dried chicken breast that was overcooked atop of an over sized piece of that fancy lettuce leaf that you have to tear up to begin with. Way under everything was a piece of french bread toasted and I couldn't find the top to the sandwich. Julie said it was open-faced! Well, how in the world am I supposed to eat that thing? On top the the chicken breast were 2 pieces if fake looking bacon and on top of that was a half of an avocado with 3 little slices made in it to make it look good, it didn't! I tried to get the waitresses attention, to tell her to either bring me the top of the sandwich or take it back, I didn't want it, when I found the other piece of burned toast under the whole mess.. With the first bite the whole avocado squirted out the back end and everything just fell apart. Grrr..... I ate the balance of my sandwich with a fork and knife.
If you had told me that I could order a burger and chicken sandwich along with 2 soft drinks and it was going to cost me $35, I would call you a bold faced liar, but the Office proved me wrong! Next year, when the Office is gone, I guess we'll try the new place, but we won't be back until then!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.