Wednesday, January 2, 2008

HEY, Where'd My TESTOSTERONE Go?

Old picture of me in 1963, plenty of testosterone!
Today was Seniors day at Fry's grocery store, the only day a month that I own up to being my actual age and proudly so. If you're over 55, you get 10% off of the bill at check out. This appeals to me, due to my heritage.


A strange thing happened in the parking lot. An older gentleman was sitting in his late model Nissan van waiting for a parking place and I ever so discreetly inched around him and was about to slowly pass him when he changed his mind and started moving ahead to another lane. I was already in that lane and he all but smashed into me. Without honking, I continued on my way and pulled into the new parking spot. Mr. Nissan pulled into the parking spot right next to me and got out of his monster van. I thought certainly there would be some sort of a confrontation, but instead he nodded to me and I nodded back..... Whoa!!! What ever happened to good old "road rage"?


As I walked into Fry's to do my grocery shopping I was utterly dumbfounded not to have fought with the other guy. Ten years ago, the scene would have been ugly and one of us would probably have gone to jail. I've read where testosterone diminishes in men my age and I had been wondering why I seam content to watch Oprah in the afternoons and my eyes well up with tears when she talks about saving some family from ruin. Today I bought a couple of cake mixes too, something I would never have attempted in my youth. The big thing was avocados. I bought 2 avocados. Julie made me dinner a few days ago and she made a special cucumber salad and it offered avocados and I liked them. Men NEVER buy avocados, it's chick food! In my 61 years, I've never bought anything but steaks and eggs and coffee in a grocery store. Today I bought salad stuff, a cake mix, and a blueberry pie. It's got to be the missing testosterone!!!


Talking about losing one's testosterone is a very delicate topic and please don't misunderstand, I'm still getting okay references in the bedroom area, but this is the first time I've lost my male drive in the kitchen or in front of the TV. Do you think it's a problem that "The Notebook" is my favorite movie? I certainly hope the "Lovely Jules" doesn't read this, she's been doing a lot of knitting lately and would love to have a partner!

2 comments:

C.A. said...

Ohhhhhhh the devil testosterone...I've mentioned it many times in my own blog. That stuff is LETHAL, I tell you!

Youre looking pretty testosterone-ish on that bike, though, Mel. :)

Upset Waitress said...

Hey Mel...You watch Oprah? There's 2 kinds of people. One that watch Oprah, and one's that don't admit it.