Monday, January 14, 2008

Pancakes for EVERYONE!

If you think it was easy getting this picture, you're WRONG!
You really can't get a good idea of Bogie's size from this picture, but he's 35" at the shoulder and 275 LB. He's a big boy and he got that way by eating anything that wasn't nailed down. He's also one of Pavlov's dogs and drools non-stop when he's going to eat. All I have to do is mention "cookies" and he's flooding the floor, thus slobber towels are everywhere around here. Now that I've enchanted you with a description of what the house looks like with Bogie living here, I wouldn't have it any other way. On the other hand, Zoie is petite quiet and an anorexic girl. She has to be plied to get her to eat anything. For me to get her to eat her kibble, I have to lace it with cheddar cheese and pretend I'm having the same thing for dinner as she. Thus the difference in their weights. Zoie is a slim 110 LB.
From the moment that Bogie heard me open the kitchen cupboard, his ears perked up and he could only hope that we were having pancakes this morning, clearly his favorite. When he saw me take out the mixing bowl, he knew it was going to be a pancake morning and let the flooding begin. I insist he wait on the sofa until I'm through making them and I eat first, letting the remainder cool on the counter. He watches me like a hawk as I finish mine and he knows it's his turn. This is when Zoie gets interested too. The two of them start to crowd me as I insist that they behave, lest I get mauled for my pancakes. Bogie catches his on a fly as it goes soaring through the air and Zoie runs to her crate where she can take girlie sized bites and enjoy hers. Bogie literally inhales his 2 big pancakes in less than 7 seconds and is at the back door waiting to be let out to get a drink. If I let them drink water in the house, it tends to look like a swamp around here.
You just got a bird's eye view of what it's like to live with almost 400 LB of Great Danes. I wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Mel where are you? Has nothing notable happened to write about since pancakes? I miss your posts