Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bread n Butter...

Years ago, actually a lifetime ago, I was a young boy living in my parent's home and at every meal, there in the middle of the table was a plate that held about 7 or 8 slices of bread, white bread and not far from that plate was another dish that held the butter and they were the staples of the meal. I believe it was my father that professed, " you should eat bread and butter, it's good for you". What a long way we've come since those days? Now, bread made with bleached flour and butter are our enemies. Bread is now compared to sugar and it's a bulk food that causes weight gain and of course the dreaded butter clogs our arteries and shortens our lives.
There used to be expressions like, communication is the bread and butter of any relationship. Doing business with Sears is the bread and butter of my business! These expressions are obsolete now, so is the dish of bread in the middle of the table. I guess we've come a long way, or have we? There is no longer a meal that the entire family eats together. The kitchen counter has replaced the kitchen table and families no longer gather at mealtime. Grab what you can and run is the new philosophy. Frozen favorites, mac and cheese from a box and sandwiches have replaced sit down meals and our society reflects the change.
At one point, both of my son's families lived here in town and when they'd invite me over for dinner and I mean a Thanksgiving dinner, it was buffet style and grab a place to sit if you can find one. Your lap is the table, good luck... People ate in shifts, too... I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I sure miss the sit down dinners, they were the "bread n butter" of my day...

1 comment:

C.A. said...

We gather twice a week at my sisters house for just such a dinner, Mel. Yes, it's "old school", but it brings the family together and encourages communication. It can get a little loud with all 17 of us there, noshing, eating, and inhaling dessert, but there is so much laughter and love. Youre so right...that really IS the bread and butter of a good family!