Sunday, January 20, 2008

Basketball was Really Never My Game...

Basketball, although was always one of my great loves, has never been good to me. Many years ago, I was trying out for the high school basketball team and made it all of the way to the final tryouts, when I didn't make the final cut. I was devastated. It truly changed my life. If I was to travel with the sports team to games and be occupied everyday after school, there was a good chance that I wouldn't have gotten onto a lot of the trouble that I ultimately got into. Not that I was a troublesome kid, but I guess I ran with a group that was a little more creative than most. I'll leave that to the reader's imagination.
Directly across the street from me, lives the Rabbi and his family. They've been neighbors for about 5 years now and pretty good neighbors, I might add. I've watched his little boy grow over the past few years and the one thing that I've noticed is this little 7 year olds ability at basketball. He is literally phenomenal. I've never seen a kid with such natural ability, at such a young age. I tend to watch him shoot hoops through my front window and he rarely misses. It's a miracle that he's able to get the ball high enough given his short stature, but he is "right on".
I told you all of that, so I could tell you this. Around Monday, this past week Ethan, that's his name, posted an ad on the light pole next to my property and it read, "forming a basketball team, if you want to join, sign here" and he made lines and actually taped a pencil to the pole beneath it. Then he signed his name on the first line and waited.... and waited, and waited some more. No one signed to join his team and I started feeling a little bad for poor Ethan, so I signed my name just below his, thinking other kids would see there were two guys now and sign up too.
Today, I went out there to get into my car and walked over and looked at the sign Ethan had posted and someone had scratched out my name! See, basketball has never been that good to me!

1 comment:

C.A. said...

That made me laugh outloud, Mel! :)